15 May 2017

Introduction 13

Prologue
Dream/Vision (3 December 1963, Moscow)

Sergey took out his jacket from the closet. Meanwhile, Jennifer walked past him into the bathroom and looked at her reflection in the mirror. She put her hand on the mirror, trying to fully take in who she was supposed to be.

Sergey noticed her and walked in behind her. He looked at her positioning. Jennifer had noticed him come in, although was still processing her situation as he paused to consider what he saw.

“Oy! Ty ne privykla predstavlyat' v forme svoyo gosudarstvo.” (Oh! You are not used to presenting yourself in uniform as a representative of the state.)

Jennifer turned around to face him.

“When you were young, you were taught that all of this is evil. Even if you know what you were taught is wrong, it still impacts you.” He picked up a comb. “Mozhno?” (May I?) She nodded to him. He started combing her hair. He backed off when he was done.

Sergey spoke again. “Forma tebe idyot.” (You look good in uniform.) Jennifer became uncomfortable because of the comment, something which Sergey noticed and attempted to fix. “Your uniform makes you look like a warrior, not a sexual object. We don't do that here. You know this.”

But Jennifer had trouble relaxing, for this brought up another concern. “You know how I think?”

“Sonya, I know you. I care about you. You saved my life. I don't know what I would do without you. I would never hurt you.”

She didn't know if she should believe him.

No comments:

Post a Comment