06 November 2018

Initial Arrival 32

Day 4
1 October 1956
Yakutsk, Siberia, USSR

“Is there anything else you want to say?”

“I can't think of anything right now.”

“Ok. I will want you to sign some papers indicating your intention to defect.”

“Is this appropriate? I don't really know anything of value. I just don't have anywhere to go. And I don't want to go back.”

“Yes, and you really shouldn't undervalue yourself.” Ivan shifted the focus of his speech. “It will take time to determine what we will do. But we will probably move you to Moscow. Here is forbidden to foreigners. There we will have resources for you. If you are to stay long, I will get you textbooks from which you can learn our language. For now you need to remain in this hospital. Can you do this?”

“Yes.” Before Ivan left, however, Jennifer had another concern. “Have you seen either Nicholas or Joshua?”

“Huh?”

“Nicholas is my brother. Joshua is a friend.”

“I haven't encountered anyone by either of those names. From your story, I can understand why you would be concerned about your brother. But this is the first time you have mentioned a friend.”

“He was with us, but I don't know if he is here. By the time I was gone, he hadn't left the vehicle.” Jennifer paused, considered, before continuing. “He is black with long hair.”

“I am sorry. If we find them, I will tell you.” Ivan paused before adding, “Can you tell me anything about them which may be useful? For instance, what is their accent? Do either of them know our language?”

“They should have the same accent as me. I think their only foreign language training was in school.”

“Look, I don't know what has happened or will happen to them, but we will try to find them. Thank you for telling me that they may be here.”

“Ok.”

After they had finished, Ivan left Jennifer alone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment