01 March 2017

Introduction 8

Prologue
Dream/Vision (3 December 1963, Moscow)

In the hallway, Jen looked at her reflection. The thought would be that a Quantum Leap type body switching would be recognizable. Her face, however, looked like her own. Older, perhaps, and clear of acne, but still her own. Maybe I just recognize it as my own face. There are apparently other things which I have not noticed as unusual. Well, my eye color is correct – light brown. My hair is brown, short and easy to maintain. … Besides, nothing seems to indicate that I can't detect the oddities when looking for them. And this doesn't feel unusual, unlike the other aspects where my instincts seem to be split. 

She took out her passport from the purse. She turned to the page with her picture. It did look like her. She compared that image to the one on her id. They matched. She then compared the image to her reflection. They also matched. She looked back at her KGB id. The feeling of dread returned. I can't be this person.

Okay. I need to calm down. She breathed in slowly and breathed out even slower. There is other information here. I need to know who this woman is. She looked through the passport. My birthday is incorrect, although that would be understandable considering the circumstance. My place of birth, however, is close to my real one. Perhaps they couldn't hide my accent and mannerisms. … Although this would only make sense if this person is me, not if I were put into another's life. … I guess similar principles may still apply. Something like a “Life on Mars” type circumstance would require the other individual to still be me.

1 comment:

  1. For the second image, most of this information will come out at some point, (and there are certain complications with these choices for this character) but for those who can't read the Russian,
    on the left:
    28 сентября 1931 года = September 28, 1931
    г. Бостон = (city) Boston
    шт. Массачусетс США = (state) Massachusetts, USA
    еврейка = Jew (f.) [The fifth line is nationality, which means ethnicity. I have not decided if this is what it will say on her real passport, but in the context of the dream, it makes sense.]
    Отделам внутренних дел кома г. Якутск Якутской АССР - This is the issuing office, which in this case is in Yakutsk.
    The final legible text on this page is Января (of January)

    The text on the right is in Sakha (also called Yakut), not Russian, although all the words are borrowed from Russian in this context. The text in print means passport of a citizen of the USSR. The text in cursive below is her name (in Russian since I do not know what it would be, if different, in Sakha)
    Волкова София Ивановна = Volkova, Sofiya Ivanovna

    ReplyDelete